Wednesday 9 September 2009

What Would Mary Poppins Say?

Picture 028
I am sure that you cannot help but notice the wistful thoughtfulness of this picture. I was taking a contemplative moment to mourn the demise of the pigeons in Trafalgar Square. 
If I had posed for this picture ten or so years ago I would surely have had several pigeons perched on my head, a bit of poop on my shoulder perhaps and I would be clutching small cup of grain that I had purchased for a few pence from the pigeon food vendor.  Alas no more!
“Feed the birds, tuppence a bag, tuppence, tuppence, tuppence, a bag” rings hollow in my ears ….
What would Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke make of it all?
What lingering memory will the gentleman with the white carrier bag, eating his sandwiches as he leans against the great fountains  take back of London? Certainly not one of being surrounded by pigeons and the sound of their flapping wings filling the air.
pig

2 comments:

Angie said...

When my kids were young it was a special treat to go to London by train ... have a meal ... and feed the pigeons. They LOVED being covered in them. Another part of London life that has gone.

Sarah xx said...

Oh Monkey!! You do make me laugh!! Sadly/happily the pigeons are only there on the days that the eagle man doesn't come and scare them off with his pigeon eating eagle! They were not so funny when they poop on your head or policeman's hat!!!!!!! xxxx